Saturday, January 10, 2009

At it again... maybe...

Well, I'm at it again, this time maybe with better results than last year. I promised myself that I'd find one thing each week to write on. Whether it be to bash it or brag on it, it doesn't matter. But my goal is to try to get myself up to speed with my writing outside the normal arena of which I write. (i.e. an online RPG based on Star Trek.)

and so, I write... and today I found something that just got my dander up as my grandpa used to say...

A 140 year old lobster was released from a New York seafood restaurant to live out his days in 'freedom and peace' according to Yahoo news.

Ok, that wouldn't be so bad really... except that me and my bright ideas had to see the name PETA in there and as much as I hated myself for doing it, I had to investigate the blogs that went with it. Big mistake.

OH MY GOD... I have never seen so many people pissed off because of a lobster release in my life. But it wasn't the release that had them pissed, it was the pro and con argument on PETA that got them riled.

And that got me to thinking.... (hey.. you came to hear it... let me finish... LOL... then you can comment... )

Why in the world do these people think that animals are on the planet in the first place? I mean, maybe they weren't raised like I was, and they might not have the same religious beliefs and such... but even if they don't, they are still missing the point.

Animal cruelty is one thing, yes. I abhor it. I see you kick a dog, mistreat a cat, kill some creature without necessity and I will be one of the first to hop up and kick your tail back to the hole you crawled out of! I share the idea that animals were not put on this planet to be abused for human gain.

HOWEVER... and this is a big butt... I don't think that we need people out there to tell us the common sense things about animal treatment. Is animal testing in laboratory science wrong? Not when it's done with humane efforts. Is it worth the risk to give up vaccines and drugs that benefit mankind just so a lab rat won't suffer from a migraine? I think not.

I've had my run in with PETA and they pissed me off. A cop hit one of my Siberian Huskies with his car as he was on the way home from work. My husband and I weren't home at the time, but my oldest daughter got him to the vet that the cop said the police department used and he survived. A bit banged up, and yes it was touch and go for awhile, but with love and care and devotion he's lived. And didn't even lose his tail like the vet said he would!

Now, my run in with PETA came from a nosy neighbor who called them and said we wouldn't take care of him. So they called, they called, they called some more and then they sent the cops to my house to check on the dog. Not the cop that hit him, although he came by himself to make sure Niko was ok. They demanded that our law enforcement come by and insure that we took care of him.

I can understand that. I know that there are people out there that don't take care of their animals, but I resent being lumped in that same group with the bear baiters and dog fighters that don't give a rats hind end about their animals as long as they get the money from the bets put down on them!

Did you know that if you have a case with PETA regarding one of your animals, you will not be allowed to purchase papers for your animal? Did you know that if you've already spent the money on the blood tests and other required tests and papers needed to get the pedigree, you will not be refunded your money because of that report to PETA?

How is it that a non profit organization like this can make someone's ligitimate life miserable and yet no one can do anything about it?? What gives them that power? What gives them that right? And why in the hell can't anyone do anything about them except just bitch??

Pissed off in the mountains,

Dragon Lady

No comments: